The best exercises for pumping legs and buttocks on stepper | Step exercises
Hello friends! I thought about what topic to raise for the article so that it concerned the cardio exercises on the simulator and at the same time the classes were available for people of very different physical training, even to those who start from scratch. It turned out that stepper exercises are a very interesting thing, and the effect of practicing on a stepper is worth discussing. Let’s take a closer look at how to practice this type of simulator and what kind of exercises you can do with it. I have prepared many useful things for you. Go!
A stepper is a type of cardiovascular equipment that mimics walking in place. Steps are made thanks to the pedal mechanism. The effect is reminiscent of climbing stairs, with high elevation of the legs and load on the feet. Many models are equipped with handrails. The stepper trains the cardiovascular system and contributes to weight loss by burning mass calories.
Stepper – a simulator for the lower body, that is, the load mainly falls on the legs. This is a great opportunity to work out joints, ligaments, improve blood circulation, and stimulate the flow of lymph from the lower body due to the contraction of leg muscles.
The stepper uses the following muscles:
- Flexors and extensors of the knee and hip.
- Lateral and medial wide.
- Large, medium, and small buttock.
Benefit and harm
The advantage that I would call first is the naturalness of walking. You can start practicing at any level, at any age and condition, even as rehabilitation after injuries and illnesses.
The stepper is effective for pumping all the muscles of the legs, as well as the body, depending on the model of the simulator. With it, you can drive off extra pounds and increase the endurance of the body as a whole, develop coordination of movements, and compensate for a sedentary lifestyle.
Interestingly, the simulator allows you to solve the problem of “lazy” intestines because when walking it is mild stimulation. After regular classes, you can say goodbye to constipation and colitis, and the immune system is strengthened by improving the health of the intestine.
Combining exercises with foot massage and wrapping, you can quickly get rid of cellulite. Mandatory addition in this case will be a low-calorie diet. Training of medium and high intensity will reduce the volume in problem areas.
About the dangers of this type of simulators heard quite a bit, however, it exists. As always happens, with improper use there is a risk of harm to the body.
I highlighted a few typical mistakes in classes and their consequences:
- Uncontrolled intense exercise with an increase in heart rate outside the recommended limits (220 – age * 85%) will lead to heart pain, headaches, discomfort in the liver, shortness of breath, and painful fatigue after exercise. Doing better with a pulsomer.
- Over-bending of the legs in the knee joint when walking can cause joint pain and even inflammation in the knee joint (bursitis, acute arthritis, exacerbation of chronic arthritis). Swelling, pain, crunch – accompanying such an injury. The recovery period in relative rest (absence of loads, only daily movements) will take about 3 months.
- Training on the rotary stepper poses a danger to those who suffer from osteochondrosis or other diseases of the spine. Do not rotate the body too intensely and with a large amplitude of movements.
Contraindications to training:
- Exacerbation of osteochondrosis.
- Intervertebral hernia.
- Dislocations and fractures.
- Varicose veins in the legs with edema and marked venous nodes.
- Hypertension with rates above 150 mmHg.
- Asthma, except for periods of prolonged remission (can be under the supervision of a physician).
- High body temperature.
- The recovery period after myocardial infarction or stroke.
- Urinary and gallstone disease with inclusions in the kidneys and bile ducts of more than 2 mm (data can be obtained by ultrasound examination).
Types of stepper and differences between themselves
The mini stepper is a small-sized simulator, which is often chosen when buying for home use. Usually, it is equipped with straps for support, which must be held in hands for stability during movement.
The balancing stepper has a more complex structure, due to which during walking it is necessary not only to walk but also to keep balance, which increases the load.
The turning view is additionally equipped with a turning mechanism for working out the oblique abdominal muscles, back, and allows you to increase the mobility of the vertebrae.
The lever model is equipped with high rigid arms for hands (not ribbons, like a mini-stepper), allowing you to connect your hands.
The hydraulic view resists at each step so that the degree of foot load increases. This is a model for intense training.
Depending on the mechanism, other muscles are additionally connected to the training:
- Balancing trains the muscle’s press and back.
- A swivel makes the oblique abdominal muscles, back and chest muscles work.
- The stepper with levers involves the abs, the back, the chest, the shoulders, the arms.
Differences from other cardiovascular machines
Walking on a stepper, unlike classes on many other simulators, is available to everyone without exception, while amplitude movements, running, stretching and all sorts of exercises with weights require physical training.
The simulator of the simplest design works on the muscles of at least half of the body and provides cardiovascular exercise, which can be controlled – to increase and decrease. More complex and effective models allow you to train all muscle groups, such as hybrids or steppers with levers. This is an important difference from other simulators aimed at any one muscle group, or from a treadmill.
What to look for when choosing a stepper?
I recommend starting the selection by determining what dimensions of the simulator are convenient for you. Depending on the amount of space for storing the stepper, you’d better choose a mini or full-size option.
In terms of savings, lever and hybrid types will be more expensive, the simpler the model, the lower the price.
And finally, the key moment in the choice is the mechanism. The stepper pedals can move interconnected, like a bicycle, or not interconnected, and for the quality of training the last option, I think, is better.
Top steppers rating
- Horizon Dynamic 208 – full-size, effective for the thighs and legs, there is a built-in computer.
- Sport Elite GB-5105 / ST0732-01 – a compact mini-stepper, there is a computer step.
- Body Sculpture BS-1370HAR-B – inexpensive durable stepper with hand expander, programs.
- DFC SC-S032 – budget compact rotary stepper, price from 3500 rubles.
- Sport Elite GB-5106 / 0722-03 Rock-N-Roll – balancing stepper with a computer program, music, small and inexpensive.
Technique and types of exercises
Classes at the stepper are under the control of body position. The basic rule is a straight back. If there are levers for hands, bodyweight is not transferred to them. Foot tight to the pedal, the heel does not come off. The movement of the pedals – smooth and uniform. Another important rule concerns the knees: you need to constantly make sure that they do not come together and do not bend in step.
Examples of training in the gym and at home
Training in the gym has the advantage – access to all kinds of simulators and equipment – from free weights to TRX. In order to achieve a quick result, the stepper is combined with a treadmill, exercise with dumbbells, weight training equipment, with stretch-arms for stretching, and a fitball for relaxation.
Usually, in the hall, there are several types of steppers, and each time you can choose another – swivel or with levers. Then the weight correction will occur evenly.
Example of training in the gym for 45 minutes:
- Warm-up with light weights for 5 minutes.
- Heart rate on a treadmill for 5 minutes.
- Strength training for legs and buttocks on a high-intensity stepper for 15 minutes: 10 circles of 30 steps and minute pauses for relaxation (set up the maximum possible resistance for you, active strain your gluteal muscles for a beautiful relief).
- Walking with low intensity for 15 minutes.
- Hitch on fitball or yoga mat 5 minutes.
If you exercise at home, you can confine yourself to one simulator – stepper.
Home one-hour cardio:
- Warm-up joints and cold stretching for 10 minutes.
- 30-40 minutes on stepper.
- Hitch and stretching 10 minutes.
Training legs and buttocks:
- Warm-up joints and cold stretching for 5 minutes.
- 15-20 minutes on a stepper, alternation of approaches, and rest.
- Hitch and stretching 5 minutes.
A couple of good advice
If increasing endurance is not the goal, I would recommend doing the method of alternative approaches and rest. You can load your leg muscles for 30-60 seconds, then give yourself a rest for 1 minute and repeat the circle.
Otherwise, you can organize a lesson, if you count not seconds, but steps on a stepper. For example, to plan a complex of 5 sets of 50 steps and one minute pause for rest.
Warming up on stepper is great for starting weight training with weights. This warm-up should be carried out for 10 minutes in order to start walking with an increased pulse.
The most frequent mistakes of beginners when practicing on a stepper are the complete extension of the legs in the knee joint and the approach of the knees while walking. Be sure to make sure that this does not happen, otherwise, you can hurt your knees and get pain.
Do not forget that the stepper is ideal for pumping the gluteus muscles. In this video is given a very effective technique.
Janett, 38 years old
“I bought a home mini-stepper to pump up my buttocks and somehow struggle with sedentary work. I do one or two weeks for a while, but the result is – shortness of breath has passed when climbing the stairs, but the leg muscles are not growing yet. I plan to practice every day and increase the load on my legs. ”
Mike, 34 years old
“The stepper was advised to me by friends not to lose shape when there is no opportunity to fully work out in the gym. I have a swiveling home version, I am satisfied – the press is in good shape, the cardiovascular load is excellent, I work when there is a need. ”
Helen, 23 years old
“I attend a cardio zone in a fitness club, I’ll definitely study for 20 minutes on a stepper or a track. I follow the shape of the thighs and buttocks with the help of intensive workouts of sports nutrition – as a result of well prokachalopopuibedra. I consider the stepper mandatory for girls and women who train the lower part of the body! ”
I hope the article turned out useful and informative. There are still a lot of interesting things, friends, write in the comments what questions you have and what I would like to read next time.
Subscribe to articles and share useful information with friends on social networks!